Wednesday, February 23, 2005

The Plant Diaries...

If I start a beer journal, I suppose I should also do the same kind of recordkeeping for my plants.

Here's what's growing right now:

Outside: There are a mess of crocuses popping up through the front lawn. I saw one single snow drop in the front corner bed under the dogwood. I'm quite sure I planted 20 or so snowdrops in this area, so I'm hoping there will be more later. A number of daffodils have started to pop up, but nothing is close to blooming. The father reports that a number of my NARGS seeds have already sprouted, including draba, several types of sempervivum, and a saxifrage. I guess the 50/50 mix of potting soil and sand worked.

Inside: All of my plants in the plant room are flourishing under the new flourescent lights. It looks weird from outside at night, but since when do I care what the neighbors think. My calamodin orange is blooming like crazy, and may finally return to the state in which I purchased it two years ago - with 15 or so fruits in various stages of ripeness - and smothered with blooms at the same time. The carnivores need some pruning, having finally started coming back from their winter rest. I also need to think about repotting the lithops, and pruning the larger of my two jade trees. A number of succulents could probably go into a small trough, and a second terarrium for my nepenthes (hanging pitcher plant) wouldn't be amiss.

Good Intentions: Make more troughs, possibly with my pops. I have the supplies to make several grout over styrofoam types, as well as regular hypertufa. I'd really like to experiment with adding perlite to the sanded grout. I also need to set up a cold frame with my new fancy piece of curved greenhouse glass (thanks fink!).

Tasks actually accomplished: I watered the house plants. I updated the map of the yard. I've daydreamed about things to do to said yard.

Looking For: Coarse sand like my dad found. Dark, fine gravel, such as crushed bluestone. Helianthus 'Low Down'.

1 Comments:

Blogger Moxie said...

Map the yard? Only plant dorks map the yard! Thank goodness you're not one of those :)

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home