Thursday, February 01, 2007

Mooninites


Mostly this whole thing made me laugh.

But I am now forced to revise my previous opinion of Boston Mayor Menino.
Actually, I had no previous opinion of Menino.
But I do now.

What a douche. A tremendous douche. Money quote:
“It is outrageous, in a post 9/11 world, that a company would use this type of marketing scheme. I am prepared to take any and all legal action against Turner Broadcasting and its affiliates for any and all expenses incurred during the response to today’s incidents. Boston will look to coordinate our efforts going forward with Cambridge, Somerville and any other affected agencies.”
Deval Patrick is smelling a little douchey too.
Best commentary I've seen comes from August J. Pollak.
If you're all lucky there will be another post in the next three months.

2 Comments:

Blogger digiphile said...

It took something this ridiculous to get you out of your digital hidey-hole -- and it is ridiculous -- but the best quote comes from the state attorney general:

"It had a very sinister appearance," Coakley told reporters. "It had a battery behind it, and wires."

After the humor is over -- and it won't take long, for those who weren't stuck in traffic or waited for cops to show up who were off dealing with this -- it is worth noting that this is may mean the end of any kind of fun electronic guerilla marketing that isn't vetted by the police departments. I could be wrong, but that these guys are up for five years for is a significant disincentive.

I also don't find the outrageous freak out so out of line these days, as, after all, it's just matter of time until what's visited the streets of Tel Aviv, Baghdad, London and Madrdid comes here.

Your Kos compatriots might need to consider that as they revile Patrick and Menino.

I've met the mayor a number of times now and think that, aside from a bit of a marble-mouthed speeking style, he's an extremely capable public servant. I think Deval shouldn't be analyzed through this filter either.

They apparently had to outlay nearly 750k to deal with this, no small potatoes in a city that has tremendous public health, education and infrastructure challenges, to say nothing of security costs passed on from the Feds.

If Turner's agents caused the expense through not thinking this through, I don't really have a problem with the corporation ponying up. They can afford it. I just don't care for the prosecution of the young guys who put 'em up.

5:13 PM  
Blogger digiphile said...

Up your's, Cold Spring! Er, something.

That obnoxious mooninite giving all comers the finger has become quite the institution in the land of the ever-living, eh?

You've got two more weeks before your self-imposed deadlines.

Here's to hoping you'll post something soon....like, say, one of gazillion nifty plant pics on your HD?

I'll keep an eye out for flying pigs in the meantime; I hear they make for delicious BBQ. Tastes like chicken.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home