Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Great Falls

A fine weekend. There was an insufficient volume of "work" accomplished at the homestead, and I did almost nothing with the plants. But I still managed to do a lot of sorting and organizing in my basement, though it still looks rather cluttered. But things are making their way into piles and boxes, where they will live in little gated communities (or boxes, as some people call them) of stuff. There will be no fraternizing of sandpaper with model paints, and no commingling of scrap wood with scrap glass.

But I did manage to go out with the woman again. She gave me some shit via email for asking on short notice if she had plans this weekend. I was a little peeved at the tone, but oh well. Then, lo and behold, she called when her other plans fell through. After I returned shit to her regarding my status as backup, we met up and saw The Aristocrats. No, no, DEFINITELY not the Disney film The Aristocats. The tag lines says it all: "No Nudity, No Violence, Unspeakable Obscenity". I thought it was quite funny, but be forewarned, you should not see this movie with your: mother, grandmother, child, dog, or self. After the movie we went and had a few at DuClaw Brewing Company, which I will happily rate as the best chain/corporate brewpub I've been to. Much conversation, quite a few laughs, and a teeny something at the end of the evening that put a big smile on my face. There are a world of things I could write about this current situation, but I'll keep them under my hat for now - I'm trying not to think to much about the whole thing, because my brain has a tendency to ruin things like this before they get started.

Monday found me at Great Falls in Maryland with the Gay Bee. Great Falls is the series of rapids and waterfalls on the Potomac River about ten miles northwest of Washington, DC.


The falls occur at the "fall line", where the Appalachian Piedmont gives way to the coastal plain.



During the last ice age, when sea level dropped several hundred feet, the water quickly (on a geologic time scale) eroded a gorge through the metamorphic bedrock.


Which leaves us rock-scrambling along "The Billy Goat Trail" between the historic C&O Canal and the river. And watching some bad-ass kayakers do there thing in the rapids. After our hike, we met up with Mean G and had delicious food in Old Town Alexandria. Then home, then sleep. And another week is upon me. Tasks: firming up my plans for this weekend (Collosal Drunken Roar?) and for a few weeks from now (Roland Park, here I come).

3 Comments:

Blogger digiphile said...

I'm glad to hear Labor Day was, in fact, a fine weekend. "An insufficient volume of "work"" sounds appropriate for the holiday, regardless of the timeliness of its accomplishment!

Sorting and organizing? Whatever for? Are you, um, GOING some where?

Mmmm. Woman again.

Email shit: bad. Shit should be given in person, or, failing that, over the phone. I'm a prime offender in this area, by the way, as you know.

"A teeny something at the end of the evening": very good. Mmm. Something.

I heard The Aristocrats was damn funny. I think we shall go soon, ourselves.

Great Falls in Maryland were gorgeous - thanks for sharing all the geomophic goodness. Don't let Gay Bee try to pollinate you.

6:03 PM  
Blogger digiphile said...

Oh, and your pics are f'ed up again. Sorry, but they are. Try more line breaks, maybe?

6:04 PM  
Blogger Moxie said...

Nice photos. I think they look good. It's so pretty there. I think I did that trail with my uncle and aunt when I lived in DC. You lucky dog, being near the C&O. My shin splints cry out in jealousy.

I hope you are going somewhere. Even if it's just metaphorical. Oh wait--you're going across the line into Old Territory in a few days. Welcome--it's a beautiful place to be.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home